Maine Men's Basketball Comes Up Short Against Army, 90-80

Maine Men's Basketball Comes Up Short Against Army, 90-80

Maine Men's Basketball Comes Up Short Against Army, 90-80

BANGOR, Maine -  Xavier Pollard paced the Maine offense once again but Maine lost its seventh-straight contest Friday night, as the Black Bears fell to Army 90-80 at the Cross Insurance Center. Maine falls to 1-8 while Army improves to 3-6.

Pollard was one point shy of his second-consecutive 20-point game as he shot 8-of-12 and 3-of-5 from the stripe. Troy Reid Knight and Garet Beal chipped in 11 points apiece in the losing effort.

Reid-Knight, who made his first career start on Friday night, got the Black Bears on the board with a 3-point bucket to put Maine up 3-1 in the game's first minute of play.

Army used a Josh Herbeck trey at the 15:50 mark as the Black Knights took a 10-9 lead into the under 16:00 media timeout.

Army rode a 12-6 run into the under 12:00 media timeout sparked by a trio of 3-pointers.

The Black Bears continued to fight as Garet Beal drained a trey from the far right side of the court as the Black Bears cut the deficit to six with just over four minutes remaining in the half.

The two teams continued to trade punches as a give-and-go in transition from Lawton to Beal cut the Black Knight lead to just five, 43-38, with 1:48 left in the half.

Akanda-Coronel once again gave fans a reason to get out of their seats as he took a pass from Reid-Knight who lofted the ball towards the net and the junior from Boston, Mass., slammed it down to make it 45-42, Army.

With under a minute left the Black Bears cut the Army lead to two as Lawton recorded his second steal of the game and broke up court, missing a layup but Ethan Mackey was there to corral the rebound and lay in his second bucket of the game, to make it 46-44 going into half.

The Black Bears shot their best first half percentage since their win against Fisher earlier in the season, shooting 52 percent from the field. The team also shot 80 percent form beyond the arc and was 4-of-5 from the line.

Beal lead the offensive charge in the half with nine points through the first frame.

Rebounding was still an issue through the first half as the Black Knights edged the Black Bears 20-15 while Mackey recorded two big blocks.

Army pushed its lead out a little bit further going on a 9-1 run before the Black Bears drained their first basket to make it 55-49 in the game.

The Black Knights took control with under 15:00 minutes to go as Mo Williams drained a three to make it 63-50.

The Black Bears kept fighting as Xavier Pollard recorded a basketball hat trick as he blocked a shot, collected the rebound and found Micovic for an assist on an ally-oop to cut the Black Bear lead to 65-58.

Following a brief Army run, Reid-Knight kept the Black Bears in it with a 3-pointer to make it 71-61 with 10:00 minute remaining.

Valjarevic continued to keep Maine within reach as he dashed into the paint, faked the layup and dished it to Mackey for a layup of his own, as Maine cut it back to a 10 point deficit, 75-65 with 5:08 remaining.

Army held the Black Bears at bay for the rest of the contest as they spilt the half as both scored 15 points as the Black Knights won 90-80.

Wilson led the Black Knights with 24 points while Kevin Ferguson was the game's most accurate shooter, shooting 7-of-7 and 1-of-2 from beyond the arc for 15 points.

Maine shot 50 percent for the game, which is the highest it's shot since its last win against Fisher.

Army won the rebounding battle 37-33 while Maine held the edge in steals, 8-6.

Lawton continued his torrid steals pace as he recorded another three steals.

The Black Bears next game is slated for Sunday at 2 p.m. as Maine welcomes UMPI to Memorial gym. That game is subject to change due impending weather concerns. 

Official Store

Fan Central