Football Defeats Monmouth 31-23

Football Defeats Monmouth 31-23

Football Defeats Monmouth 31-23


WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J.--The University of Maine football team defeated Monmouth by the score of 31-23 on Saturday afternoon. With the win, Maine goes to 1-1 on the season while Monmouth falls to 0-2. The Black Bears were led by Jared Turcotte (Lewiston, Maine) who rushed for 144 yards and three touchdowns.

Maine got on the board first, when the Black Bears put together an eight play, 70-yard drive capped  Turcotte three-yard score with 3:31 left to play in the first quarter

After a Monmouth field goal and touchdown, the Black Bears had the ball at their own 49-yard line with a little over four minutes left in the first half. On fourth-and-one, Turcotte spun around and broke two tackles in the backfield before busting through the right side 51 yards to put Maine up 14-10. 

The Black Bear defense would limit Monmouth hold scoreless on their next drive to give Maine a 14-10 intermission lead.

Turcotte ran for 83 yards in the first half while Warren Smith (Forked River, N.J.) went 10-for-16 passing for 75 yards and no interceptions.

Jordan Waxman (Kitnersville, Pa.) added three punts inside the 20-yardline to help limit Monmouth's field position in the first stanza.

The Black Bears would get on the board early in the third quarter as  Derek Session (Baltimore, Md.) would scamper 22 yards for the score.  The touchdown was setup by a 40-yard pass by Smith to Session on the previous play.

Monmouth would answer to make it 21-17 Maine at the end of the third quarter, but a Brian Harvey 25-yard field goal would make it 24-17 Black Bears early in the fourth.

The Hawks answered with a field goal with nine minutes left in the game, and on the ensuing kickoff, did a squibb kick that ended up in the arms of Steven Barker (Teaneck, N.J.). Barker would run it back more than 60 yards to the Monmouth 18-yardline.

A couple of plays later, Turcotte would run it in from seven yards to give Maine a 31-20 lead with 7:30 left.

The Hawks scored on a field goal with just over three minutes left to cut the lead to 31-23.

Maine would get the ball back run out the clock to get the win.

Smith finished 17-for-26 for 194 yards with no interceptions while Session caught four passes for 78 yards.

Vinson Givans (Cambridge, Mass.) led a solid Black Bear defensive effort with seven tackles and three pass break-ups. Freshman Michael Cole (North Brunswick, N.J.) added two sacks.

Maine outgained Monmouth 433 yards to 334.

The Black Bears return to action on Saturday when they travel to take on Big East foe Syracuse at 7:15 p.m.








Official Store

Fan Central