Football Defeats Towson, 28-18

Football Defeats Towson, 28-18

Football Defeats Towson, 28-18

Postgame Press Conference

TOWSON, Md.--The University of Maine football team defeated Towson University by the score of 28-18 on Saturday afternoon at Unitas Stadium. With the win Maine goes to 4-6 on the year and 3-4 in CAA play while Towson falls to 1-9 overall and 0-7 in league play.

Freshman Derrick Johnson got the Black bears off to a good start, retuning the opening kick off 41 yards to the Maine 42-yardline.

Pushaun Brown (North Brunswick, N.J.) had a couple of nice runs, but the Black Bears would be forced to punt. 

Maine's defense would stifle the Tigers, and on the ensuing Black Bear possession, Maine would march down the field thanks to a nifty first down catch by Derek Buttles (Pike, N.Y.) and a few tough runs by Brown. The Black Bears could not quite convert, and would be forced to punt.

The Back Bear defense would again stop the Tigers, and Chris Treister (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) would lead the Black Bears on an 8-play, 53 yard drive that would be finished off by a Brian Harvey (Wayland, Mass.) 21-yard field goal.

On the next Tiger possession, Michael Cole (North Brunswick, N.J.) had a key pass break up as the Black Bears forced a Towson punt.

After forcing the Black Bears to punt, Towson would take a 7-3 lead with 6:57 left in the half when Tremayne Dameron would run it in from five yards out.

Maine responded with a six play, 42-yard drive capped by a Harvey 31-yard field goal. 

The Black Bears would force the Tigers to miss a field goal with 47 seconds left in the first half, and would only be down 7-6 at halftime.

In the third, Mark Masterson (Williamstown, N.J.) would intercept a Towson pass and return it 82 yards to the Towson 2-yardline, before Brown would punch it in to give the Black Bears a 13-7 lead just under two minutes into the third quarter.

The Black Bears would increase the lead to 19-7 with two minutes left in the third when Treister capped off a 5 play, 59-yard drive with a two-yard run. Buttles had a key, 39-yard reception to gain most of the yardage on the drive.

The Tigers would kick a field goal two minutes into the fourth to cut the lead to nine, and would look to take advantage of a Black Bear fumble with under seven minutes remaining.

However, Trevor Coston (Greenlawn, N.Y.) would intercept a pass and return it 35 yards for the score to give the Black Bears a 26-10 lead with 6:09 left in the contest.

After a Towson score and two-point conversion made it 26-18, Maine would notch a safety to secure the win.







Official Store

Fan Central