Football Kicks Off 2013 at Norfolk St. Saturday Evening
ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine football team kicks off the 2013 season when it travels to Norfolk St. to face the Spartans for the first time in school history on Saturday, Aug. 31 at 6 PM. Maine will play four of its first five contests on the road to begin the 2013 campaign.
- Maine looks for its third-straight win dating back to 2012 when it defeated Georgia State (51-7) and Rhode Island (55-6) to close out the season.
- Maine will be playing a team from the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference (MEAC) for the first time since it defeated Morgan St. on the road on Nov. 8, 2003 by a score of 77-24.
- Maine quarterback Marcus Wasilewski has thrown four touchdowns in each of his last two games and returns as the top CAA quarterback in terms of passing yards per game (214.9).
- Michael Cole returns at defensive end for the Black Bears after missing the final six games of the 2012 season due to injury. Cole needs 6.5 sacks to tie the record of 27.5 career sacks, set by Mike Denino (1989).
- Norfolk St. returns 14 starters (8-Off., 6-Def.) from a team which went 4-7 and tied for ninth in the MEAC at 2-6. The Spartans look to solidify the quarterback position as they return Nico Flores who switched from QB to wide receiver midway through the 2012 season. (99-175, 1,067 yards passing, 59 attempts for 282 yards rushing).
- Each team looks to continue solid defensive play as Maine was fourth in the CAA in total defense, second in passing yards allowed and first in redzone defense while Norfolk led the MEAC in passing yards allowed and was second in total defense.
- Maine and Norfolk St. will be meeting for the first time in the 121 year history of Black Bear football ... Maine will face two teams in 2013 which it has never played as it also will square off against Northwestern this season ... The Black Bears last played a team from the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference on Nov. 8, 2003 when it traveled to defeat Morgan St. 77-24 ... Virginia has been welcoming to Maine in the recent history as the Black Bears have won three-straight games in the state (at William & Mary 10/27/12; at Richmond 10/22/11; at James Madison 10/8/11) ... New Norfolk St. tailback Rolandan Finch, a transfer from Boston College, rushed for 90 yards on 17 carries last season when the Black Bears opened the year at Boston College.
When Saturday, Aug. 31, 2013
Where Norfolk, Va.
Stadium (Capacity) William '"Dick" Price Stadium (30,000)
Surface Natural Grass
Kickoff 6 p.m.
Series Record First meeting
Current Winning Streak n/a
TOP 25 RANKINGS (FATHEAD.COM-SPORTS NETWORK/FCS COACHES):
Norfolk St.: -/RV
Maine Jack Cosgrove (Maine '78)
Career Record (Seasons) 111-118 (21st Season)
vs. Norfolk St. 0-0
Rhode Island Pete Adrian (West Virginia '70)
Career Record (Seasons) 83-80-1 (16th season)
vs. Maine 0-0
The game will be video streamed live at http://www.nsuspartans.com/showcase/ for a fee of $8.
The game will be broadcast throughout the state of Maine on the Black Bear Sports Network. Rich Kimball (play-by-play), Bob Lucy (color) and Brian Sullivan (sideline) will handle the call of the game. Kimball and Lucy are in their 17th season of calling Black Bear football, and Saturday's game will be the 183rd Black Bear football game for the duo.
Augusta WVQM-FM 101.3
Bangor WVOM-FM 103.9
Bangor WGUY-AM 1230
Bangor WGUY-FM 94.1
Millinocket WSYY-AM 1240
Portland WLOB-AM 1310
Portland WJJB-FM 96.3
Portland WRED-AM 1440
Rockland WRKD-AM 1450