Football Opens Home Slate With Bryant on Saturday at 3:30 PM
ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine football team (2-0, 0-0) looks to stay on the winning path as it opens its home slate with Bryant (2-0) on Military Appreciation Day at Alfond Stadium.
- Maine is looking to start the season 3-0 for the first time since 2002 and last won a home opener on Sept. 3, 2011 when it defeated Bryant 28-13.
- Maine is coming off a 24-14 win over FBS opponent UMass. The win was Maine's second ever over an FBS foe, with the last coming in 2004 when Maine knocked off Mississippi St., 9-7.
- Maine's win over UMass was the 500th win in Black Bear football history.
- Marcus Wasilewski threw for 267-yards and led the team in rushing with 78-yards on the ground and a touchdown. In the game, Wasilewski passed current head coach Jack Cosgrove for ninth all-time in career passing yards (2,851).
- The Black Bear defense held UMass to just 265-yards (65 rushing). Maine's defense ranks first in the CAA as it is giving up just 244.5 yards per game.
- With a sack against UMass, Michael Cole needs just 4.5 more sacks to tie Mike Denino's all-time sacks record of 27.5.
- Bryant also enters the game undefeated after beating Holy Cross (17-16) and Assumption (34-7). The Bulldogs are 0-2 all time against Maine with the last meeting coming on Sept. 15, 2012; a 51-3 victory by Maine.
- Bryant, who returns 20 starts (8 Off., 9 Def., 3 STs) are led by quarterback Mike Westerhaus who enters the game with 425-yards passing and three touchdowns.
When: Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013
Where: Orono, Maine
Stadium (Capacity): Alfond Stadium (10,000)
Surface: Field Turf
Kickoff: 3:30 pm
Series Record: Maine leads 2-0
Current Winning Streak: Maine (2)
Maine: Jack Cosgrove (Maine '78)
Career Record (Seasons): 113-118 (21st Season)
vs. Bryant: 2-0
Bryant: Marty Fine (Western New Mexico '85)
Career Record (Seasons): 74-44 (13th season)
vs. Maine: 0-2
Live Streaming on GoBlackBears.com
The game will be broadcast throughout the state of Maine on the Black Bear Sports Network. Rich Kimball (play-by-play), Bob Lucy (color) and Brian Sullivan (sideline) will handle the call of the game. Kimball and Lucy are in their 17th season of calling Black Bear football.
Augusta WVQM-FM 101.3
Bangor WVOM-FM 103.9
Millinocket WSYY-AM 1240
Portland WLOB-AM 1310
Portland WRED-AM 1440
Rockland WRKD-AM 1450
The game can be heard live over the internet at www.GoBlackBears.com(.) Click on the "Audio & Video Tab" near the bottom of the home page to find a complete schedule of upcoming broadcasts for Black Bear football games. Live, in-game stats will also be provided at www.GoBlackBears.com(.)
For tickets, dial (207) 581-BEAR or toll-free at 1-800-756-TEAM or online at GoBlackBearsTickets.com(.)