Football Opens CAA Play Saturday at #22/20 Richmond on Comcast SportsNet
ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine football team (3-1, 0-0 CAA) opens Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) play when it travels for the fourth road game in its opening five to take on #22/20 Richmond (2-2, 0-0 CAA).
- The Black Bears will be looking for their first conference opening win since defeating Delaware in 2011. Maine last won a conference opening road game in 2006 when it downed William & Mary and last opened CAA play on the road in 2008 (at Richmond).
- Maine is 3-7 in its last 10 conference openers with the last CAA opening win coming at Delaware in 2011 (31-17).
- Last time out, Maine played its second of two 2013 FBS contests when it was defeated 35-21 at #18/16 Northwestern. The Black Bears outgained Northwestern 379-373 while their defense held the Wildcats to season lows in both points and total passing yards.
- Justin Perillo hauled in eight catches for 81 yards and a score at Northwestern and surpassed 100 catches and 1,000 receiving yards for his career. Perillo was honored by College Football Performance Awards as the national FCS tight end of the week.
- Richmond will be looking to go 3-0 at home after defeating Liberty 30-21 last weekend. The Spiders totaled 428 yards of offense in the win, led by Jacobi Green's 181 yards on the ground.
- The Black Bears are 6-4 in their last 10 games against Richmond and won the latest meeting 23-22 in 2011 at Richmond. Maine scored 16 unanswered points to grab the win in 2011. In that game, Justin Perillo recorded eight catches for 61-yards and a score. Defensively, Erwin Roach (2.5) and Michael Cole (2.0) each recorded multiple sacks.
- Maine's secondary leadership has limited opposing offenses to just 175.8 passing yards per game (2nd in CAA) and ranks first in the CAA in pass defense efficiency (93.0). It will face a great test this weekend as Richmond leads the league with 287.8 passing yards per game.
- Credit Maine's defense in limiting opposing teams' time on the field and the Black Bear offensive game planning for an average possession time of 33:03 per game; second best in the CAA.
When: Saturday, Sept. 28, 2013
Where: Richmond, Va.
Stadium (Capacity): E. Claiborne Robins Stadium (8,700)
Surface: FieldTurf Pro
Kickoff: 4:03 pm EST
Series Record: Richmond leads 12-11
Current Winning Streak: Maine 1
TOP 25 RANKINGS (FATHEAD.COM-SPORTS NETWORK/FCS COACHES):
Maine: Jack Cosgrove (Maine '78)
Career Record (Seasons): 114-119 (21st Season)
vs. Richmond: 7-6
Richmond: Danny Rocco (Wake Forest '84)
Career Record (Seasons): 55-23 (8th season)
vs. Maine: 0-0
Comcast SportsNet New England - TV (Bangor Listings Below)
DirecTV - 630
Time Warner - 38/779
Dish Network - 435
Talent: Joe Beninati (play by play) & Andy Gresh
The game, set for a 4 p.m. kickoff, will be shown live on Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic (CSN-MA), Comcast SportsNet New England (CSN-NE), The Comcast Network Philadelphia (CSN-P) and Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS).
SpiderTV will provide live video streaming of Saturday's game vs. Maine, but due to contractural obligations with the CAA and its television partners, the live video stream will be BLACKED OUT in the following states:
Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.
The game will be broadcast throughout the state of Maine on the Black Bear Sports Network. Rich Kimball (play-by-play) and Bob Lucy (color) will handle the call of the game. Kimball and Lucy are in their 17th season of calling Black Bear football, and Saturday's game will be the 190th Black Bear football game for the duo.
Augusta WVQM-FM 101.3
Bangor WVOM-FM 103.9
Millinocket WSYY-AM 1240
Portland WLOB-AM 1310
Portland WRED-AM 1440
Rockland WVOM-AM 1450
The game can be heard live over the internet at www.GoBlackBears.com(.) Click on the "Audio & Video Tab" near the bottom of the home page to find a complete schedule of upcoming broadcasts for Black Bear football games. Live, in-game stats will also be provided at www.GoBlackBears.com(.)