#17/14 Football Hosts William & Mary Saturday on Homecoming Weekend
ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine football team (5-1, 2-0 CAA) comes off a bye and looks to move to 3-0 both in the CAA and at home as it welcomes William & Mary (4-2, 1-1 CAA) to Alfond Stadium on homecoming weekend.
- Maine last started 3-0 in league play in 2011, defeating James Madison in an overtime thriller for the third win in 2011. The Black Bears last started a season 6-1 in 2011 and have only started 6-1 or better three times since 1989 ('89, '02, '11).
- W&M leads the all-time series 7-3. Maine won the most recent meeting 24-10 at W&M in 2012. In that game, Marcus Wasilewski threw for 191 yards and three scores. Maine has not defeated W&M at home since a 27-14 win in 2002.
- The Black Bears last defeated W&M at home in 2002, a game won by the Black Bears 27-14.
- Prior to the bye week, the Black Bears defeated Delaware 62-28. It was the most points scored by Maine since defeating Shaw 62-12 in 2006 and tied it for third most points scored in a single game in school history. Maine racked up 337 yards rushing and 602 total yards of offense. Nigel Jones led the charge with three scores (2 rush, 1 catch) and 107 yards on the ground, his second straight game with 100+ yards rushing and three total touchdowns.
- Marcus Wasilewski threw for 265 yards against Delaware. Wasilewski now needs just 91 passing yards to reach the 4,000 yard mark for his career. He would be only the eighth quarterback in Maine history to reach that plateau.
- Maine enters the weekend at the top of the CAA in several offensive categories. It sits second in passing yards (261.5) third in total offense (455.2) and has converted on 50.6% of its 3rd down attempts, second best. Wasilewski leads the league in total offense at 295.2 total yards per game.
- W&M enters the weekend winners of four of its last five after most recently defeating Penn 27-14. Mikal Abdul-Saboor rushed for 100-yards and three touchdowns in the win.
When: Saturday, Oct. 19
Where: Orono, Maine
Stadium (Capacity): Alfond Stadium (10,000)
Surface: Field Turf
Kickoff: 12:38 PM
Series Record: W&M leads 7-3
Current Winning Streak: Maine 1
TOP 25 RANKINGS (FATHEAD.COM-SPORTS NETWORK/FCS COACHES)
William & Mary: RV/RV
Maine: Jack Cosgrove (Maine '78)
Career Record (Seasons): 116-119 (21st Season)
vs. W&M: 3-7
W&M: Jimmye Laycock (William & Mary '69)
Career Record (Seasons): 219-162-2 (34th season)
vs. Maine: 7-3
TV: WVII/FOX 22 Bangor/Fox College Sports
Talent: Dan Hannigan, Brian Sullivan, Brittany Devane
The home games will be broadcast live on GoBlackBears.com (.) Click on the "Audio & Video" tab near the bottom of the home page for instructions on how to watch live over the internet.
The game will be broadcast throughout the state of Maine on the Black Bear Sports Network. Rich Kimball (play-by-play), Bob Lucy (color) and Brittany Devane (sideline) will handle the call of the game. Kimball and Lucy are in their 17th season of calling Black Bear football, and Saturday's game will be the 191st Black Bear football game for the duo.
Augusta WVQM-FM 101.3
Bangor WVOM-FM 103.9
Millinocket WSYY-AM 1240
Portland WLOB-AM 1310
Portland WRED-AM 1440
Rockland WVOM-AM 1450
The game can be heard live over the internet at www.GoBlackBears.com(.) Click on the "Audio & Video Tab" near the bottom of the home page to find a complete schedule of upcoming broadcasts for Black Bear football games. Live, in-game stats will also be provided at www.GoBlackBears.com(.)