No. 25/20 Football Hosts Norfolk St. in Saturday Evening's Season Opener
ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine football team looks to begin defense of its 2013 Colonial Athletic Association championship as it hosts Norfolk St. at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 30 at Alfond Stadium on "John Huard Day".
- The Black Bears open their 123rd season of football on Saturday evening when they welcome Norfolk St. to Alfond Stadium on "John Huard Day".
- This is the second-straight season where Maine has opened with Norfolk St. as it defeated the Spartans on the road in last year's opener 23-6. Maine is 8-0 against teams from the MEAC.
- Maine opens the season at home for the first time since 2011 when it defeated Bryant 28-13. The Black Bears are 59-53-10 in season openers dating back to 1892. Maine was selected 7th in the CAA Preseason Poll.
- Maine is 1-0 all-time against Norfolk St. with the lone meeting coming in last season's contest. Maine defeated Norfolk St. 23-6 a year ago in a game which saw current Black Bears kicker Sean Decloux knock down three field goals. The Black Bears defense held Norfolk St. to just 224 yards of offense, including only 80 rushing yards.
- The Black Bears return 30 letterwinners and 15 starters from last year's CAA Championship team. Maine returns five starters on offense and eight on defense, led by its top-two tacklers from a year ago in 2013 CAA Defensive Rookie of the Year Christophe Mulumba Tshimanga (118 tackles) and Cabrinni Goncalves (101).
- Norfolk St., who was picked sixth in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) Preseason Poll, are led by MEAC Preseason Defensive Player of the Year and All-American linebacker Lynden Trail who totaled 94 tackles and 8.5 sacks a year ago. The Spartans went 3-9 a year ago and return 50 letterwinners, including 14 starters.
Fans interested in attending Saturday evening's season opener may purchase tickets by calling (207) 581-BEAR, 1-800-756-TEAM, by visiting the UMaine ticket office between the hours of 8:30-4:00 p.m. or online at www.GoBlackBearsTickets.com
When: Saturday, Aug. 30
Where: Orono, Maine
Stadium (Capacity): Alfond Stadium (10,000)
Surface: Field Turf
Kickoff: 6:07 PM
Series Record: Maine leads 1-0
Current Series Winning Streak: Maine 1
The Black Bears will be honoring legendary linebacker John Huard at Saturday's game. Huard joins 13 other players and two coaches in this year's class who will be honored at the 57th annual National Football Foundation Awards Dinner in New York City at the Waldorf Astoria on Tuesday, Dec. 9. For more information on Huard's honors please click here.
Fans will also be treated to a post-game fireworks display!
TOP 25 RANKINGS
(THE SPORTS NETWORK/FCS COACHES)
Norfolk St.: --/--
Maine: Jack Cosgrove (Maine '78)
Career Record (Seasons): 121-121 (22nd season)
vs. Norfolk St.: 1-0
Norfolk St.: Pete Adrian
Career Record (Seasons): 86-89-1 (17th season)
vs. Maine: 0-1
Fans wishing to watch a live stream of the game may do so by clicking here!
The game will be broadcast throughout the state of Maine on the Black Bear Sports Network. Rich Kimball (play-by-play) and Bob Lucy (color) will handle the call of the game. Kimball and Lucy are in their 18th season of calling Black Bear football, and Saturday's game will be the 198th Black Bear football game for the duo.
Augusta WVQM-FM 101.3
Bangor WVOM-FM 103.9
Millinocket WSYY-AM 1240
Portland WLOB-AM 1310
Portland WRED-AM 1440
Rockland WVOM-AM 1450
The game can be heard live over the internet at www.GoBlackBears.com(.)
To listen live to Saturday's game click here!
Click on the "Audio & Video Tab" near the bottom of the home page to find a complete schedule of upcoming broadcasts for Black Bear football games. Live, in-game stats will also be provided at www.GoBlackBears.com(.)