Men's Ice Hockey Skates to 4-4 Draw at #9 Northeastern

Men's Ice Hockey Skates to 4-4 Draw at #9 Northeastern

BOSTON, Mass. -- The 15th ranked University of Maine men's ice hockey team battled to a 4-4 draw with ninth-ranked Northeastern on Friday night at Matthews Arena in Boston, Mass. Mark Anthoine (Lewiston, Maine) scored at 13:57 of the third period to give Maine a 4-3 lead, but the Huskies knotted the score with 1:11 remaining and that is how the game ended. Maine moves to 15-10-4 on the season and 9-5-3 in Hockey East play, while Northeastern moves to 17-10-4, 9-6-2 in conference action. 


Maine took a 1-0 lead at 17:05 of the opening period. Steven Swavely (Reading, Pa.) made a backhanded pass to Connor Leen (Chester, N.Y.) stationed all alone, just outside the crease. Leen made a quick move, before firing the puck into the back of the net for his sixth goal of the season. Conor Riley (Messena, N.Y,) also assisted on the goal for the Black Bears. 


Maine added to its lead just 24 seconds into the second period when Riley got the puck to Steven Swavely (Reading, Pa.) stationed in the slot. He fired the puck into the back of the net for his eighth goal of the season, giving Maine a 2-0 lead. Devin Shore (Ajax, Ontario) also assisted on the goal for the Black Bears. For Riley, it was his first career two-point game. 


Northeastern scored three straight goals to take a 3-2 lead at 14:14 of the third period. Colton Saucerman began the scoring with a goal at 7:40 of the second period with a shot from the blueline that snuck just inside the goal post. Kevin Roy tipped a Saucerman shot less than three minutes later to tie the game at 2-2. The Huskies took the lead on a goal by John Stevens at 14:14 when he skated in and stuffed the puck past Maine goalie Martin Ouellette (St.-Hippolyte, Quebec). 


The Black Bears tied the game 1:36 later when Brian Morgan (Windham, N.H.) got the puck to Blaine Byron (Manotick, Ontario) stationed in front of Northeastern goalie Clay Witt . Byron beat Witt for his seventh goal of the season. Ben Hutton (Prescott, Ontario) also assisted on the goal for the Black Bears. 


After killing off a penalty, Brady Campbell (Blenheim, Ontario) carried the puck into the neutral zone, firing it into Maine's offensive zone. Shore beat a Northeastern defender to the puck and fired a shot on goalie Clay Witt. Witt made the initial save, but Mark Anthoine was right there to shoot the puck into the back of the net, giving Maine the 4-3 lead. For Anthoine, it was his eighth goal of the season. 


Northeastern tied the game at 4-4 with 1:11 remaining in regulation on a goal by Braden Pimm. He received a pass from Mike Szmatula and fired the puck past Ouellette. 


Each team had several chances in overtime, but the game finished in a 4-4 tie. Northeastern outshot Maine 31-27 in the game. Maine was 0-for-1 on the power play, while Northeastern was scoreless in three chances. 


Ouellette stopped 27 shot in goal for the Black Bears and moves to 14-10-4. Witt stopped 23 shots for the Huskies. He moves to 15-8-3. 


The two teams conclude their two-game Hockey East series on Saturday night. Puck drop is slated for 7 PM at Matthews Arena. 

Official Store

Fan Central