Edwards Leads Men's Basketball to 76-71 Win at Quinnipiac

Edwards Leads Men's Basketball to 76-71 Win at Quinnipiac

Edwards Leads Men's Basketball to 76-71 Win at Quinnipiac

HAMDEN, Conn. --  Justin Edwards (Whitby, Ontario) scored a game-high 26 points to lead the University of Maine men's basketball team to a 76-71 win over Quinnipiac on Saturday afternoon at the TD Bank Sports Center. Maine is now 5-8 on the year while Quinnipiac falls to 4-7.


Maine was down 9-5 early but Jon Meghna (Frankfurt, Germany) hit Alasdair Fraser (Falkirk, Scotland) down low, and after a nice spin move Fraser converted the layup to start an 8-to-2 run for Maine.


The Bobcats responded to take an 18-15 lead with 11:34 left in the half but Edwards responded with a three to tie it.


The teams exchanged baskets and it was 26-26 with 7:48 remaining, but the Bobcats scored the next six points to take a 32-26 lead. Xavier Pollard (Bronx, N.Y.) stopped the run with a pair of free throws with 6:11 left. He then stole the ball on the defensive end and raced ahead for a layup to cut the lead to two.


Quinnipiac expanded the lead to 39-34 with three minutes left, but an Edwards layup and three-pointer knotted the game with 1:20 left.


Edwards converted another layup putting Maine up by a bucket but Quinnipiac made a pair of late free throws to tie the game at 41 into intermission.


Edwards had 12 points to lead Maine in the first stanza while Fraser added eight points and two rebounds.


Maine shot an impressive 63 percent in the first half while holding Quinnipiac to 44 percent.


Maine opened the second half on a 12-to-3 run courtesy of five points from Edwards.


Quinnipiac rallied and scored the next 13 points to take a 57-53 lead with 12:21 left. Maine called timeout and an Allison layup stopped the run.


Maine came back and went on an 11-to-4 run taking a 64-61 lead with 7:19 remaining.


Edwards gave Maine a 67-62 lead with 3:38 left as he made an incredible spin move down the land and converted the layup with his left hand.


However, Quinnipiac would not go away and chipped away at the lead, as it was 74-71 Maine after a Bobcat layup with 47 seconds left.


The Black Bears had a pair of free throws rim out to give Quinnipiac life with 18 seconds remaining, but the Bobcats missed the three-pointer and Fraser got the rebound before getting he fouled. He converted both to give Maine the win.


Fraser finished with a double-double of 14 points and 11 rebounds while Mesghna added 13 and four assists.


Quinnipiac was led by Ike Azotam who had 16 points and nine rebounds.



Official Store

Fan Central