Football Travels to Gillette Stadium to Face UMass Saturday on ESPN3
ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine football team (1-0) travels to Gillette Stadium for the first time in its 122 year history to face its longtime rival and former conference foe UMass (0-1), the first of two FBS contests this season.
- Maine, coming off a win at Norfolk St., looks for its fourth-straight win dating back to 2012 when it defeated Georgia State (51-7) and Rhode Island (55-6) to close out the season.
- The Black Bears are coming off a 23-6 win at Norfolk St. Marcus Wasilewski threw for 209 yards and a touchdown while Zedric Joseph (2 catches, 90 yds, 1 TD) and Derrick Johnson (8/82 paced the receivers. Sean Decloux added a trio of field goals while Cabrinni Goncalves recorded 13 tackles and 2.0 sacks in his first career start.
- Mike Cole returns at defensive end for the Black Bears after missing the final six games of the 2012 season due to injury. Cole needs 5.5 sacks to tie the record of 27.5 career sacks, set by Mike Denino (1989). The senior DE picked up his first sack of the season last weekend at Norfolk St.
- UMass is coming off a 45-0 loss at #23 Wisconsin. Running back Stacey Bedell led the Minutemen attack with 70 yards rushing on 19 carries. Starting quarterback Mike Wegzyn went 9-for-23 for 73 yards with one interception. Devin Brown led the UMass defense with nine tackles and an interception.
- UMass is the fourth most familiar opponent in terms of total games played against each other as the two teams have matched up 58 total times. The two teams formerly faced off in the Yankee Conference, A-10 and the CAA before UMass moved to FBS play and the MAC.
When: Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013
Where: Foxboro, Mass.
Stadium (Capacity): Gillette Stadium (68,756)
Surface: Field Turf
Kickoff: 2 p.m.
Series Record: UMass leads 41-16-1
Current Winning Streak: Maine (1)
Maine Jack Cosgrove (Maine '78)
Career Record (Seasons) 112-118 (21st Season)
vs. UMass 7-12
UMass Charley Molnar (Loch Haven '84)
Career Record (Seasons) 1-12 (2nd Season)
vs. Maine 0-0
ESPN3 - Bob Picozzi (play by play), Brian Kinchen (color)
The game will be broadcast throughout the state of Maine on the Black Bear Sports Network. Rich Kimball (play-by-play), Bob Lucy (color) and Brian Sullivan (sideline) will handle the call of the game. Kimball and Lucy are in their 17th season of calling Black Bear football, and Saturday's game will be the 188th Black Bear football game for the duo.
Augusta WVQM-FM 101.3
Bangor WVOM-FM 103.9
Millinocket WSYY-AM 1240
Portland WLOB-AM 1310
Portland WRED-AM 1440
Rockland WRKD-AM 1450
The game can be heard live over the internet at www.GoBlackBears.com(.) Click on the "Audio & Video Tab" near the bottom of the home page to find a complete schedule of upcoming broadcasts for Black Bear football games. Live, in-game stats will also be provided at www.GoBlackBears.com(.)