11/14 Football Travels for CAA Clash at 18/17 Villanova on Saturday
ORONO, Maine -- The #11/14 University of Maine football team (6-1, 3-0 CAA) looks to remain undefeated in league play when it travels to meet #18/17 Villanova on Saturday at 1 PM.
- Maine, looking to move to 4-0 in the CAA, last started 4-0 in league play in 2011. The Black Bears last started a season 7-1 in 2011 and have only started 7-1 or better eight times it its 121 year history. (1901, 1912, 1926, 1961, 1965, 1989, 2002, 2011).
- The all-time series between Villanova and Maine is knotted at eight wins each. Villanova took last seasons meeting in Orono 35-14. The Black Bears last won at Villanova in 2011 41-25 after a blizzard covered the Wildcat campus. Maine is 6-4 in its last 10 against Villanova, including a four-game win streak (2001-2006).
- In last season's game, Villanova rushed for 314 total yards, led by Kevin Monangai's 192 yards and two scores. Maine will again need to stop the Wildcat rushing attack as they enter this weekend averaging 239.4 yards on the ground, second best in the CAA. Sophomore QB John Robertson, last season's Jerry Rice freshman of the year award receipient, leads the Villanova offense in four categories: passing yds (1,186); passing TDs (7); rushing yds (849); and rushing TDs (11).
- Maine is coming off a 34-20 homecoming victory over William and Mary. Wasilewski led the way with 192 yds through the air and two scores to go along with 71 rush yards. The senior QB earned CAA Co-Player of the Week accolades while also surpassing 4,000 passing yards for his career. He now needs 392 yards to move into seventh all-time.
- One key to look at will be Maine's third ranked pass offense (251.6 yds) against Villanova's 11th ranked pass defense (259.1 yds allowed).
- Maine has won its last seven games against FCS foes and its last two against ranked opponents dating back to a Nov. 3, 2012 loss at #10 James Madison.
- Villanova is coming off a tough 29-28 loss at New Hampshire in which a late two-point conversion gave UNH the win. Robertson paced Villanova with 256-yds on the ground, second most ever in Villanova history, and three rushing TDs.
When: Saturday, Oct. 26
Where: Villanova, Pa.
Stadium (Capacity): Villanova Stadium (12,500)
Surface: Field Turf
Kickoff: 1:00 PM
Series Record: Series tied 8-8
Current Series Winning Streak: Villanova 1
TOP 25 RANKINGS (FATHEAD.COM-SPORTS NETWORK/FCS COACHES)
Maine: Jack Cosgrove (Maine '78)
Career Record (Seasons): 117-119 (21st Season)
vs. Villanova: 8-8
Villanova: Andy Talley (Southern Conn. '67)
Career Record (Seasons): 202-123-1 (29th season)
vs. Maine: 8-8
This week's game will be streamed live at Villanova.com
The game will be broadcast throughout the state of Maine on the Black Bear Sports Network. Rich Kimball (play-by-play), Bob Lucy (color) and Brittany Devane (sideline) will handle the call of the game. Kimball and Lucy are in their 17th season of calling Black Bear football, and Saturday's game will be the 192nd Black Bear football game for the duo.
Augusta WVQM-FM 101.3
Bangor WVOM-FM 103.9
Millinocket WSYY-AM 1240
Portland WLOB-AM 1310
Portland WRED-AM 1440
Rockland WVOM-AM 1450
The game can be heard live over the internet at www.GoBlackBears.com(.) Click on the "Audio & Video Tab" near the bottom of the home page to find a complete schedule of upcoming broadcasts for Black Bear football games. Live, in-game stats will also be provided at www.GoBlackBears.com(.)